twitter




Sunday, October 25, 2009

I don't know who I am/don't like who I am...?

I'm 17...I've got no real personality...I don't know who I am exactly. I don't know what persona to have...the funny girl, quiet girl, the smart girl, the bad girl, the good girl. I don't know which one I want to go for.

I'm an introvert and have depression, it sort of handicapped me and I don't know who I am. I don't just want "to be myself" because I don't know what myself is! I have to shoot for a goal, is my goal to be funny, resourcful, confident?.right now I come off to most people as quiet, annoying, and depressed and shy. Which they're right.I have a loser personality. I don't know what to do! How do I decide who I want to be? I'm confused.Thanks for taking the time to read my endless ranting about self-finding.
Answer:
Some of what you feel is normal for your age, but you don't have to limit yourself by trying to pick one "personality.
People are multi-faceted, and it is normal to feel different ways, to "be" different ways, at different times.
I think you are too depressed and confused, personally, and I would urge you to get some counseling, like cognitive behavioral therapy; eat right, and get lots of exercise- really, those things really do make a difference in how you feel about things. Also, believe it or not, looking in the mirror in the morning and repeating "I like myself, I recognize who I really am" really can make a difference. It is called affirmation, and tens of thousands- if not more- of people use it on a regular basis.
(Please don't be so hard on yourself. I went through a similar time when I was your age and I did finally pull out of it.)
Read "Games People Play" by Eric Berne, and a textbook on social psychology.

You might also read the "Virtue of Selfishness" by Ayn Rand.


Take care.
:-)
Every body is somebody, how do you annoy someone if you are quiet? Always try to shine, have confidence in your self, always tell yourself you can do it, whatever it is. It is mind over matter, if you dont mind, it dont matter. Be what you want to be, not what other people expect. If your depression is bad, seek help thru your parents, or someone. It's ok to be shy, but always smile, it makes people wonder what you have been up to.
its not your problem...

see...we can give any definition of anything under the sky.
but if one asked what you have ? or what is your personality.?.
we cannot give an answer
becs we doesnot know our value or our ability..

i too sometimes used to think what i got ? what is left...or who am i ?

you think so becs you can think yourself but almost all people does not think of themselfs on these busy life...

keep thinking...but.. thinking is to get up not get down.

so..thanks to god becs you thinks....
start by taking the persona that best suits your mood at that time. Share your persona appropiately with those around you. That is who you are and whom you shall be seen as. By the way...How is it that an introverted and quiet person can be viewed as annoying?
you don't really decide who you want to be. you said your an introvert so that means that your already the quiet girl. you don't have to "go" for any persona. right now you don't know who you are but with time and persistence you can find out who you are and let your true self shine thru. you said your an introvert so maybe you like reading or poetry or something like that. just find something you like to do and do it- photography, writing, swimming, something, anything to keep yourself busy. this will help with the depression and maybe in the process you might just find yourself developing your own personality. you cant just decide to be someone your not, you have to find out who you truly are and then be that person. its not gonna happen overnight but if you stick with it someday you'll know exactly who you are and what you want to do with your life.
hope this helps. good luck!
(by the way you might want to read Being Saved When Your Feeling Lost by Dan Day. its a really good book, i think that everyone should read it.)
It's very common for girls your age to be confused about who you are. You said you experience depression...first and foremost, get that taken care of. Your regular physician is capable of giving you an Rx to help with that...make sure you don't get a benzodiazapine though...they're addictive and dangerous.

Secondly, don't stress too much about who you want to be. The more you worry about it, the more upset you'll become. Make your actions suit your mood. I'd also recommend taking up some hobbies that make you feel good. For example, if you like people - volunteer at your local soup kitchen. Don't be lazy...get off your butt and do something. I think you'd be surprised with the results.

You'll find yourself in no time. PLEASE don't get discouraged!

God Bless.
I like Mannon's answer. I just want to add a few things. Study and apply positive thinking techniques. Definitely see a psychiatrist/counselor. They can be beneficial many ways. Including helping you to learn how to help yourself. Go out and do different activities. ( this will help you find out some of the things you like to do, that you may not have thought you would. As well as help the depression lift and meet new people with similar interest), You may also want to study ways to improve your self esteem. You should not try to make yourself what others want you to be. It's what you think is good. We are all different. We have different standards, etc.
Just make sure you can live with your decisions. You are at an age where the decisions you make now, can have a lasting effect on the rest of your life. Only you can change into what you want to be. Set realistic goals for yourself. One step at a time if you want. Gradually, you will become who you want to be. Only you can limit yourself. (There are few exceptions, like being a vegetable) I would suggest listening to inspirational true stories as well. If you ever get into a bad situation. Take my advice. Do not let fear overcome you. Get out of it ASAP. For your own safety and well fare. You can make your dreams come true. Lastly, don't be so hard on yourself. Lots of people go through this.
ok.. nothing to worry about... i suffered the same whn was at your age!

what happens is that we try to immitate other humans behaviour whom we think are successful, impressive or smart...

what you have to do is... let the words and action come out without thinking! It is then, when you will realize who you actually are! So let the flow continue without thinking much... and then later on think about your conversation/actions... write down all +ve and -ve... and then improve :) All da best !!

Mostly, i am an introver, and thats what people love about me :D and i am an extrovert only with selected people like friends and family...
You are not alone: We have some things in common.therapy good support from family helped. Years ago a doctor taught me hypnosis . It helped the depression and confidence.The book that helped most The Power Of Positive thinking,,,, change your thinking change your life... It works..Be comming a member of Lions clubs Is great you meet so many great people and help others, Others have been in your position and made it so can you.Dont be a prisoner in your house get outside go for a walk a bus ride etc. Idle thoughts come from an idle Mind.. There a lots of us here to help...

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net