twitter




Saturday, October 31, 2009

I finally have an appointment with a counselor. What should I expect? I'm nervous but I know I need some help.

I'm almost afraid that maybe the counselor I am going to see may not be too good or something because all the other ones I called had 2 to 3 week wait time for a 1st appointment %26 she could see me tomorrow but I cant go until Thurs. I havent talked to anyone since highschool guidance counselors %26 one very bad experience with a Dr. my parents sent me to when I was 13. He just told me I was a bad child %26 if I loved my parents I wouldnt make them worry by misbehaving %26 I should be more obedient. Anyway, I dont know really how this stuff works %26 how can I know if this counselor is good? i tried to google her %26 her office name but didnt get much info, just phone # %26 directions, no reviews or anything. The receptionist or whoever answers the phone seems nicer than most I talked to. I'm just afraid that this may not be a good palce to go but I figure even if its not maybe it is a start to getting the help I need. There are just not alot of mental health resources out here where I live.
Answer:
I think you are probably really nervous and scared about the first few sessions with the new counselor. It may take a few sessions to feel comfortable and build trust and rapport with your counselor. If after a while you don't feel its a good fit then ask for a referral to someone else. It's nothing personal but you want someone who you feel completely comfortable with who you can express everything to without feeling judged. I have been a counselor for seven years now and I would want my patients to ask me for a referral if they needed one. Make sure to ask plenty of questions during your first day so you are well informed. Talk about confidentiality and other issues so you feel better about it.
you're just nervous, you'll be fine
your on the right track to getting better,and need to relax and give some trust to this doctor,tell him everything that your feeling dont hold back
you will never no if u dont go. good consolers will listen to you before they make any suggestions. but remeber just because you dont agree with some of the things they say it dosent make them wrong just go in with a opened mind if it makes since go with it good luck
Don't start telling the counsellor all of your personal secrets and feelings until you trust him or her. Don't answer any questions that you are not comfortable answering.
First off your right, if absolutley nothing else it is a start to getting help. Congrats to you for seeking out help! It can be such a difficult thing to do and it's completley normal to feel nervous. You've gotten used to dealing with all of it on your own! Now you don't have to go at it all by your lonesome so good work!

What to expect - expect her to allow you to tell her why you've sought out treatment NOW, expect her to listen and possibly give feedback. Expect her to explain confidentiality and the limits to it. Expect her to tell you her fee and hours. Expect her to ask you what is was like for you to talk to her - expect her to expect that you are being honest and forthcoming.

Just because someone has an opening in their schedule doesn't mean they aren't good. It could mean that they just happen to have completed treatment with someone else and now have an open slot.

Bottom line though is - you have to feel like you can work with this person and tell her everything you need to tell her and then some. You have to feel comfortable and like talking to her will make a difference. If you feel like its not a good match after two or three appointments, schedule one with someone else. I would reccommend to you to call those other ones back that didnt have open appointments for another two or three weeks and schedule one with one of them. This will give you a chance to see what other therapists are like and to see if you feel more comfortable with someone else.
I have seen numerous counselors for my depression. The number one thing is that you shouldn't judge your counselor based off the first visit. Always give them at least three sessions to see if you are compatible. In order to get good help you have to find someone you trust and are comfortable talking to about whatever it is that you need to talk to. If you don't trust them, like them or it just doesn't feel like a good fit to you, you won't get much of anything done and it will be a waste of your time and money. I wish you the best of luck and remember, if she doesn't work (I hope she does) there are lots of other people out there that can see you given enough notice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net