twitter




Saturday, October 31, 2009

I feel like I'm living someone else's life.?

First, I would like to mention that I'm Asian but spent most of my life in Western society. My parents are Asians who did spend some time in US but has the Asian traditions.

My problem is this, I am currently a university student in US. Before I came, I had to chose a major and I was really into movie making therefore wanting to major in films. My parents are traditional so they believe becoming Doctor, Lawyer etc is good and was against my idea.

My parents fear that if I major in film and fail, I would be broke and poor and sees that I have little chance succeding. Instead they want me to take safe jobs in the future.

This is where I get confused, I have individualism idea therefore I think to myself why can't I do what I dream of? My parents say, they workd very hard to offer me education and if I do what I only want to do and fail, it's very rude.

I wish I had parents that are understanding and supportive to what I like and dream of. I feel like i'm living someone else's life.
Answer:
I have lived like you for the most part of my life and it got me no where. Might as well break the cord now. You will never be able to please any one person all the time. If your young take it from a person who is old like myself. To change it takes courage. It takes courage to step out and be what you want to be. Film making is wonderful from where I am coming from. I read this next statement out of a book one time. PLEASE EVERYONE AND NO ONE IS PLEASED. PLEASE YOURSELF AND AT LEAST YOUR PLEASED. Take care of your self. Be kind to your parents and respect them. But don't try to live up to there expectations. You will never measure up. That is just my experience. Even if you became a billion air, in some way they would not be pleased. Follow your heart and you will have no regrets.
I feel ya. I was born in romania and moved here when i was about 5 so i have the traditional "strict" parents.they pressure me to do well and be everything they werent or couldnt be since they made the sacrifice of bringing our family to this country.but PROVE THEM WRONG. succeed and be all you can be in the film industry! they will feel sorry they didnt support you but you will feel great that in the end you onyl relied on yourself and got the job done! good luck =]
seriously, you should first off be grateful for having such providing parents. I dont know many people with parents like yours. Regardless, you are going to have to live your life regardless of what they do for you so, be grateful for their help but in the end you have to live with your choices. I dont think they wanted to help make you miserable so don't let them. Do what you want, if you are happy I am sure they will be happy too.
I know how you feel. My parents want me to become something big like a lawyer or a doctor. I want to be a social worker/journalist. But your dream is to major in film and i think you should follow your dreams. Your parents love you and they're only making sure you'll be able to support yourself even when they're gone. If majoring in film is what you want, go for it!

If you believe in yourself and show it, your parents will come around. They love you and want what's best for you. Talk to them about it.
Classic. The choice between doing what you want and "risking" financial stability OR choosing a career that "guarantees" financial success and being contempt about living a life that doesn't make you happy. Well, it sounds like you know your options, and only you can choose. Success is measured in smiles, not in dollars.
this is a common complaint, you are not alone. But there comes a time when you have to make decisions for yourself, it is after all your life. Parents are supposed to counsel you, they are supposed to give you a good start with a good education, but they are NOT supposed to direct your life for you. Listen to them, with respect, but follow your own opinions and desires. Truly, they do want what they see is best for you, but they are not you, and they cannot live your life for you. A person cannot be afraid of failing, for that would mean they never try, they only take the "safe" road rather than the road less travelled, and then they end up regretting what they missed. Have courage, hold on to your dream, and do what your heart tells you is the right thing for you.
I recomend you to talk to both parents and tell them how you feel. Tell them that you have and only you choose your own path and profesion. What if you decide to become a film maker and fail, well those are speedbumps that the life has, what if you are a doctor and since you dont like it you operate a man incorrectly thats a fail, or a lawyer that fail in court all the time, not just by becoming a doctor or lawyer does not mean you cant fail because you can. you have to do someting you like, that when you wake up in the morning you look foward to work not like most people in the world who hates their job, remember its your life its okay that they have been with you and want the best but its up to you to be the best. luck :):):):):):)
Do what you want. It's your life. If you dream it you can become it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net